Medical Plan updates

​The following updates have been made to Medical Plan benefits as a result of the COVID-19 crisis.

Telemedicine and the high deductible health plan

As allowed under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2022, no deductible will apply under the high deductible health plan (HDHP) for telemedicine services, including virtual office visits with network providers and Teladoc consultations, incurred from April 1, 2022, through December 31, 2022. If you’re enrolled in the HDHP medical option, the plan will pay 80 percent of allowable charges for covered telemedicine visits during this timeframe regardless of whether you have met your annual deductible for 2022. You are responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent (your coinsurance) of the cost. Any coinsurance amounts you pay for telemedicine services do not count toward your annual deductible.

COVID-19 testing

All three medical options (PPO, EPO, and HDHP) will pay 100 percent of the cost — you pay no deductible, copay, or coinsurance — for COVID-19 testing (diagnostic and antibody testing ordered by your physician). If you're enrolled in Medicare Supplement, Medicare pays 100 percent of the cost for lab testing for COVID-19. The plan does not cover COVID-19 testing for employment purposes; for example, an employer screens all employees before they return to the workplace.

Home COVID-19 testing

Under a new initiative starting April 4, 2022, Medicare will cover up to eight over-the-counter (OTC) home COVID-19 tests each calendar month at $0 cost to members. If you are enrolled in the Medicare Supplement Plan, you can get your $0 cost OTC home COVID-19 tests through Medicare by presenting your Medicare card at any participating pharmacy. The pharmacy will bill Medicare on your behalf, and you pay $0. Read more about the Medicare initiative.

The Medical Plan will cover up to eight over-the-counter (OTC) home COVID-19 tests approved by the U.S. Food and Administration (FDA) in a 30-day period when purchased on or after January 15, 2022. Simply present your prescription drug ID card when buying an OTC home COVID-19 test at the pharmacy counter of a participating Express Scripts pharmacy and you won't be charged a copay. You can also use Express Scripts Pharmacy home delivery service to get your eight tests with no copay. Read more about this coverage, including certain limits that may apply. 

COVID-19 vaccinations

The Medical Plan will cover COVID-19 vaccinations approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) at no cost to members, including when two doses are required and approved booster shots. If getting the vaccine at a pharmacy, present your prescription ID card; at the hospital or doctor’s office show your medical ID card.

If you're enrolled in Medicare Supplement, Medicare pays 100 percent of the cost for FDA-approved vaccines.

For information on the vaccine process in your state, visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website and choose your state from the drop-down menu under How Do I Get a Vaccine.

For information about COVID-19 vaccine safety and effectiveness, review these FAQs and facts about COVID-19 vaccines from the CDC.

Midyear changes

Employers may allow employees to make midyear changes to their medical coverage during the COVID-19 national emergency. Midyear changes to spending account elections may also be allowed. For details, call the Board and speak to an employer services representative.

Livongo for Diabetes Program Coronavirus Resource Center

This coronavirus resource page is designed to answer your diabetes-related questions and let you know what you can do to manage your health. If you have any questions regarding your diabetes care plan, including medications, contact your doctor.