Statement of objection

​Congregations, employers, and individuals who are paying dues that might be used to support someone's dependent may formally object to same-gender spouses of Benefits Plan members receiving coverage.

The 219th General Assembly (2010) urged the Board of Pensions to make benefits available to same-gender spouses of plan members and the spouses' children. The 219th General Assembly also asked the Board to provide relief of conscience to those for whom this posed a moral dilemma. The statement of objection approach came out of an extensive review of options.

Statement of objection process

To record an objection, a session or an employer's governing body (e.g., Board of Directors) must approve a formal resolution. A copy of the resolution, signed by the Clerk of Session and Moderator or by an authorized representative of an employer's governing body, along with any supporting documentation (e.g., meeting minutes), is then mailed to:

Corporate Secretary
The Board of Pensions of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
2000 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-3298

View a list of the churches that have recorded an objection.